Runs to date: 01202
2017 Total Runs: 1207
2016 Total Runs: 1198
2015 Total Runs: 1233
2014 Total Runs: 1048
NARRATIVE: Position is a uniformed line assignment within the Fire Department, supervised
by assigned Deputy Chief. Captains will provide initial and immediate response to incidents in
the North Star Fire Service Area, and to incidents outside the Service Area as defined by
department Guidelines of Operation and Mutual Aid Agreements. Upon arrival will perform
incident command functions, rescue, firefighting, Haz-Mat Operational Level response, and
emergency medical operations as necessary or as directed.
1. Primary duties shall encompass leadership skills used in serving the members of this
organization by mentoring, teaching, equipping, and encouraging all members of the
2. This position performs emergency firefighting activities to include but not limited to
apparatus driving, interior attack, wild-land firefighting, rescue operations, motor
vehicle extrication and hazardous materials operations.
3. Provides safe initial response of appropriate fire apparatus and emergency scene
4. The Captain serves as Company Officer, or Driver/Operator when necessary, on initial
response to all fire, rescue, and hazardous materials emergencies, performs "On-Scene
Reports" and acts as Incident Commander until relieved by a Chief Officer.
5. The Captain serves as Lead Medic when necessary.
6. The Captain shall ensure daily and weekly vehicle checks, preventative maintenance on
apparatus are completed.
7. The position shall initiate work orders for repairs to apparatus, facilities and equipment that
cannot be performed by them, accurately documenting conditions and discrepancies found.
8. This position is responsible for the maintenance of stations and grounds to include:
cleaning, stocking of supplies, mowing, plowing/shoveling, light repairs such as painting, etc.,
and other tasks as required to keep facilities clean, orderly and functional at all times.
9. This position will be required to perform computer data entry of ANFIRS, EMS reports,
training reports, PPE assigned to personnel, hose records, SCBA records, and other projects as
10. This Captain regularly is involved with instruction of fire, rescue and ems topics to serve the
members of the department in meeting their needs with "check-off' procedures, task
performances and drivers training. The Captain will be assigned to assist instructors, prepare
equipment, facilities, materials for training sessions and perform as an instructor in areas of
expertise; participate in department fire prevention presentations, accident prevention, and
community awareness programs as assigned.
11. This position supervises and may occasionally supervise summer hires or community service
workers. The Captain conducts crew assignments, delegation of tasks, counseling of members
not meeting department standards and quality control.
12. The Captain conducts annual performance evaluations of all personnel.
13. Ensures departments General Policies, Safety Policies, directives and Department Operating
Guidelines are followed.
14. Serve as Battalion Chief as needed
15. This position may be called upon to perform duties outside of regularly scheduled work hours
when department manning, critical incidents or important department projects are in need.
16. This position shall perform other duties as assigned by the Fire Chief or designee that assists
in the daily operation and organization of the department.